Pre-Winter Home Checklist
Posted on 10/20
With the cooler temperatures fast approaching, it won’t be long before old man winter arrives. This is as good a time as any to prep, check and inspect whether your new home is armed for winter. Here are some tips to help you get started. Do these and you will enjoy the comfort and warmth of a well-kept home saving money and maintenance down the road.
- Drain exterior hose bibs and outdoor hoses.
- Check roof shingles vents and flashing.
- Check all weather stripping and door sweeps, lubricate or replace where necessary.
- Check doors and locks.
- Make sure your water heater is functioning well.
- Clean windows and check wells.
- Inspect eaves troughs, downspouts and remove any leaves and all debris.
- Change furnace filter and have furnace inspected and cleaned to ensure proper carbon dioxide alarms are working properly.
- Avoid the rush and stock winter essentials like salt or ice melt, ice scrapers and shovels.
- Keep water away from the house - add extenders to down spouts to avoid water pooling close to the house.
Doing these few chores will help maintain your home while avoiding any unexpected problems. There’s nothing worse than something malfunctioning during the cold winter months leaving you and your family at risk. You want to be sure your family is safe and warm and sleeping easy throughout the fall and winter months. Don’t hesitate to jump on this list now and avoid being 200th in line for service.